Sprint Into Spring returns in October 2016 – more awesome than ever! The program has been released, and it features a fantastic mix of suburban Melbourne campuses and parks (with two new maps), and a triple header weekend in Bendigo, including the Sprint Champs.
Race 1 – Saturday October 15, Eltham College
Warning – this is not a warmup; we’re throwing you in at the deep end! This venue was hugely popular last year. It has a bit of everything – a lot of buildings, fences, gates, ramps and stairs, gardens, playing fields – all set on the side of a serious hill. Who will claim the first Jerseys for 2016? No pre-entry is needed, just come along and pay on the day, from 1pm. Start any time between 1.30 and 2pm. Entry $10 adults, $5 if you’re under 21. Series tickets also on sale. Details and directions below.
Race 2 – Saturday October 22, Keilor Downs
I can’t reveal much on this one, as it’s a brand new map. It features two adjacent school campuses, so it’s sure to be tricky. And there’ll be no advantages through prior knowledge – we’re all in the same boat. Last chance to purchase a series ticket. Details and directions below.
Think On Your Feet: Orienteering Victoria’s “Sprint Into Spring” events are short distance, fast paced races held in small, self contained areas with many complex features, such as parks or campuses. Maps are full colour and large scale, with a high level of detail.
Sprint orienteering is about thinking and racing hard simultaneously, focusing on quick decision making. These events are fairly simple to navigate at a walk or slow jog, but the task is more demanding at high speed, especially when faced with multiple legs featuring constant changes of direction and route choice. If you run fast then make sure that it’s in the right direction!
- Races 1-5 in Melbourne, Races 6-7 and the Victorian Sprint Championships in Bendigo.
- Saturday afternoons in October and November 2015
- SportIdent electronic timing, with starts at 1 minute intervals. Choose your own start time between 1.30pm and 2.45pm.
- Special yellow, green and polkadot jersey awards – thanks to Dirty D orienteering gear.
|Race||Date||Map||Location / Melway or VicRoads
|Eltham College||Main Road, Research (22 K1)||Results; Splits; Race Wrap and Map; Photos|
|Keilor Downs (NEW)||Keilor Downs Secondary College, Odessa Avenue, Keilor Downs (14 C5)||Results; Splits; Race Wrap and Map; Photos|
|Ruffey Lake (NEW)||Ruffey Lake Park, Church Road off King Street, Doncaster (33 H9)||Results; Splits; Race Wrap and Map; Photos|
|Deakin Burwood||Deakin Burwood Campus, Holland Avenue, Burwood (61 B5)||Results; Splits; Race Wrap and Map; Photos|
|Newport Lakes||Newport Lakes Park, Lakes Road, Newport (55 G3)||Results; Splits; Race Wrap and Map; Photos|
26 Nov (am)
|Bendigo South East College (NEW)||Sharon Street, Flora Hill (VR 608 B10)||Results; Splits; Race Wrap and Map; Photos|
|7||Sat 26 Nov (pm)||New Argus (NEW)||Brewery Road, Eaglehawk (VR 602 K7)||Results; Splits; Race Wrap and Map; Photos|
|8||Sun 27 Nov (am)||Camp Hill (NEW)||Tom Flood Centre, Water Street, Bendigo (VR 607 S5)||Results; Splits; Race Wrap and Map; Photos|
- Races 1-5: Start any time between 1.30 and 2.45pm. Registration opens 1.00pm.
- Race 6: Start any time between 11am and 12 noon. Race 7: Start any time between 3.00 and 4.00pm.
- Victorian Sprint Champs: Pre-allocated start times from 11am.
- Enter races 1-7 on the day at Registration. Entry fees $10 adults, $5 juniors (under 21). No pre-entry needed.
- Series tickets on sale at Races 1 and 2. $56 adults, $28 juniors (under 21).
- The Sprint Champs will have a separate entry fee, and can only be pre-entered online via Eventor. Please enter the appropriate Age class.
Courses: choose any of our three options
- Mo Farah – go the distance; hard navigation, approx 3.5km with 25-30 controls
- Sally Pearson – short ‘n’ sharp; hard navigation, approx 2.5km with 16-20 controls
- Usain Bolt – uncomplicated (suitable for kids and novices); approx 2.5 km with 16-20 controls
Enquiries: voaATiinet.net.au; 0409 135 020 (Debbie)
Here’s how to find out what features can and cannot be crossed during a race:
SIS 2016_rules and scoring – please ensure you read our rules of fair play, and the jersey points scoring system. Jerseys will be awarded to the highest scoring Male and Female on each course, in each category – Overall (Yellow), Sprint (Green), and Hill Climb (Polkadot). Your best 6 scores from Races 1-7 count.