Sprint Into Spring returns in October 2017 – back for a 5th fabulous year! Two brand new maps, and a selection of the best campus maps in the country.
Think On Your Feet: Orienteering Victoria’s “Sprint Into Spring” events are short distance, fast paced races held in small, self contained areas with many complex features, such as parks or campuses. Maps are full colour and large scale, with a high level of detail.
Sprint orienteering is about thinking and racing hard simultaneously, focusing on quick decision making. These events are fairly simple to navigate at a walk or slow jog, but the task is more demanding at high speed, especially when faced with multiple legs featuring constant changes of direction and route choice. If you run fast then make sure that it’s in the right direction!
- Races 1-6, and the Victorian Sprint Championships, in Melbourne
- Saturday afternoons in October and November 2017
- SportIdent electronic timing, with starts at 1 minute intervals. Choose your own start time between 1.30pm and 2.45pm.
- Special yellow, green and polkadot jersey awards – thanks to Dirty D orienteering gear.
|Race||Date||Map||Location / Melway or VicRoads
|University of Melbourne||Parkville – park on nearby streets or take public transport (Melway 22 K1)||Results Splits Race Wrap ‘n’ Map Photos|
|Oxley College (NEW)||Old Melbourne Road, Chirnside Park (Melway 37 E6)||Results Splits Race Wrap ‘n’ Map Photos Jersey Points|
|VU Edgewater||Farnsworth Avenue, Footscray (Melway 2S 4F)||Results Splits Photos Race Wrap ‘n’ Map Jersey Points|
|RMIT Bundoora West||Plenty Road, Bundoora (Melway 10 A8)||Results Splits Photos Race Wrap ‘n’ Map Jersey Points|
|Royal Park (NEW)||Lawn 7, Brens Drive, Parkville (Melway 29 D12)||Results Splits Photos Race Wrap ‘n’ Map Jersey Points|
|Latrobe University||Car Park 6 Ring Road, Bundoora (Melway 19 H6)||Results Splits Photos Race Wrap ‘n’ Map Jersey Points|
|7||Sun 26 Nov||Monash University||Wellington Road, Clayton (Melway 70 G12)||Results Splits Photos Race Wrap ‘n’ Map Jersey Points|
- Races 1-6: Start any time between 1.30 and 2.45pm. Registration opens 1.00pm.
- Victorian Sprint Champs: Pre-allocated start times from 10.30am.
- Enter races 1-6 on the day at Registration. Entry fees $10 adults, $5 juniors (under 21). No pre-entry needed.
- Series tickets on sale at Races 1 and 2. $50 adults, $25 juniors (under 21).
- The Sprint Champs will have a separate entry fee, and can only be pre-entered online via Eventor. Please enter the appropriate Age class.
Courses: choose any of our three options
- Mo Farah – go the distance; hard navigation, approx 3.5km with 25-30 controls
- Sally Pearson – short ‘n’ sharp; hard navigation, approx 2.5km with 16-20 controls
- Usain Bolt – uncomplicated (suitable for kids and novices); approx 2.5 km with 16-20 controls
Enquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org; 0409 135 020 (Debbie)
Here’s how to find out what features can and cannot be crossed during a race:
SIS rules and scoring – please ensure you read our rules of fair play, and the jersey points scoring system. Jerseys will be awarded to the highest scoring Male and Female on each course, in each category – Overall (Yellow), Sprint (Green), and Hill Climb (Polkadot). In 2017, your best 5 scores from Races 1-6 count.